Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hop Against Homophobia

Hop imageI grew up in a very small town in the middle of nowhere. When I was younger, it always seemed like there were only a couple hundred people who lived there (it was really 7k or so). We were a 45 minute drive from the nearest interstate and mall. There was no movie theater, and half the time we didn't have a clothing store (they went in and out of business like going bankrupt was in style).



In other words, I grew up under a rock. :3 Half the rock was my own making; I was an introvert and much more interested in reading than in the same 200 boring people that inhabited my town. (None of them had magic! How could they compete?) Homophobia didn't seem real to me; it was an abstract concept that I'd never experienced or recognized in anything around me. (This is not to say it wasn't there, but to say that I was an oblivious, self-absorbed young person, a.k.a., a typical teenager.)



High school really cemented this. I can remember three gay classmates off the top of my head. Two had been out for as long as I could remember (the girl actually asked me out once; I declined on the grounds she was too short (seriously, I was a strange, strange teenager)). The third was a little older, a year or two before me in high school; he was the stereotypical jock, on the football and basketball teams. I remember he came out when I was in high school, and I couldn't figure out why it was gossip. I don't know if anyone gave him a hard time about it, but nothing seemed to change. He was still friends with the same people and did the same things.



It wasn't until I got to college and had my own computer and a connection to the world (the great and wonderful internet!) that I realized that things like homophobia, racism, etc., weren't just theoretical concepts. I had never experienced or witnessed any overt homophobic actions, but the internet brought me to people who had. I was connected to wonderful, creative, lovely people who had experienced homophobic discrimination, who had suffered and looked down upon because other people thought less of them because of who they loved.



So, while it may seem like common sense that gay people are first and foremost people, and deserve all the respect that entails, it's always worth repeating. It's never, ever right to ridicule or discriminate against someone because of who they are and who they love.



 






In support of the Hop, I'm offering a giveaway prize of one copy of any paperback in my backlist.* To enter the giveaway, leave a comment on this post on my website or LJ (tumblr will not be counted because I don't actually understand tumblr). Please include your email address in the comment so I can get in touch with you. ^__^



Givewaway technically ends on May 20 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time, but I probably won't draw until the morning of the 21st because I like my sleep. Winner will be selected using random.org and will have 48 hours to get back to me after being notified, after which point a new winner will be selected.








See more Hop posts!




*Backlist includes That Famous Happy End, Fairytales Slashed: Volume 2, Stolen Hearts, Living Words, Seeing is Believing, or the upcoming Saving Liam**



** If Saving Liam is chosen, it will ship as soon as it is in my grubby little hands (very, very soon).***



*** I promise no grubbiness will be transferred to the book. ^__~

18 comments:

  1. Sabrina Nobile16 May, 2012 23:54

    Am I in the right place? How am I possibly the first one? Oh well, I'd very, very much love to the last of your stories I haven't yet acquired. <3

    IAmCaptainSkye@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stolen Hearts! I loved the preview for that one.

    grimmpsyke (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot The Trouble with Magic! That's in print now, too. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in the same self-absorbed world until I got into college.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this glimpse of your childhood :)

    And very nice to have a chance of one of your backlog *squee*

    Saskia399 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think college becomes that sort of eye-opening experience for everyone. So many people from so many different places. I know at mine, they had classes that encouraged accepting diversity. And we also had a huge LGBT population.

    Lovely post~

    marrontenshi (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't actually have any copies of that one. (And I've never seen it! o_O) That's the only reason it's not on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, lovely girl. Thanks for participating.
    *hugs and squishes*
    K-lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Post! Count me in for the giveaway. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your childhood sounds exactly like mine--except I think my town might've been smaller. Totally grew up under a rock, had no idea discrimination of that kind was a thing. Oh, how college takes off (proverbial) blindfolds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post. Thanks for participating! I've been wanting to read Saving Liam for the longest time!!

    tiger-chick-1 (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for participating, Sasha :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we grew up in the same town... lol! Sounds just like where I live! Only there were no out students when I was in school, that I know of. I got my exposure to different lifestyles in college and am SO thankful for it!

    lina7391(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have aware of homophobia since Elementary but I did not completely understand it until the 6th grade and when I was in High School. College/University made me realize that there are people who would do harm to them even though they are and they live breathe like the rest of us "normals".

    ReplyDelete
  15. and i forgot my email: dyoklako at gmail dot com. ^^;;;

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for participating!!

    annawelch23456@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm read the beginning of your comment and just sat here blinking, because it was so similar to what I wrote myself! Small town, no real knowledge of homophobia until I grew older.

    I wonder if it makes more of an impact, to come to awareness at an older age, you know?

    ReplyDelete